5.13.2011

Parenting

This is what I hope my kids think of me someday, but I've got a long way to go.


Parenting is an interesting thing. I don't think I ever appreciated all the work and foundation that my parents laid for me as a child. I was raised to say please and thank you, to have respect for my elders, hold the door for the person behind me, say excuse me when it was needed, and to love people for who they are.
The world has evolved. Many of the defining qualities that shaped societies 50 years ago are hard to find. There are many times as a parent that I am not sure how to shape my children into what I envision them being; honest, good citizens of society who help improve this nation. I want them to stand for truth and goodness. As a parent I have often found it overwhelming that their lived depend on the foundation that they form while they are young.

One of my favorite books is 'Standing for Something' by President Hinckley. It is a book that I often turn to in order to remind myself of the basic qualities that my children not only need to know, but need to live. The 10 virtues in which he focuses in this book are Love, Honesty, Morality, Civility, Learning, Forgiveness, Thrift and Industry, Gratitude, Optimism, and Faith. If my children could master each of these I would feel accomplished in my mothering.

So, with Mother's Day and Father's Day upon us I wanted to thank all of my parents, not just the biological ones, who have helped shape my husband and I as well as our children. Thank You for your examples and sacrifices.

We Love You!



Love, Tamber

No comments: